Canterbury Road Primary School

Special Education Needs (SEN) Information Report

1. How does Canterbury Road  assess the progress of pupils and what would they do if my child was falling behind?

* We assess all pupils in Reception using Speech and Language Link and will discuss with parents any areas of weakness.
Progress in Year 1 is assessed using National phonics test and we will discuss with parents any areas of weakness that would necessitate retesting in Year 2.

* Progress in Year 2 will continue to be assessed against National targets at Key Stage 1.
* Progress in Year 6 is assessed against National targets at Key Stage 2.
* Progress in all year groups is assessed 6 times a year at Pupil Progress meetings.
* Pupil Progress meetings are discussions about every child’s progress and attainment.
Class teachers will use assessment, discussion and more importantly observation to identify areas of concern.
We will discuss with parents any pupils who are identified as not making sufficient progress and the intervention programme created; tailored to meet their specific needs. 

2. How accessible is Canterbury Road’s  environment?

* Canterbury Road is easily accessible for children with a disability.
* The entrance hall has a wide door and ramp to allow for wheelchair access.
* Disabled badge holders are able to park in the school car park.
* Canterbury Road has a disabled toilet/care suite.

3. Where can I find information about Canterbury Road’s  approach to pupils with SEN?

* Canterbury Road’s  prospectus
* Canterbury Road’s  SEN policy.
* Further information can be found from the school’s latest Ofsted report. Links are provided below:


Ofsted Report:  

4. Who is the person responsible for children with SEN?

* Class teachers have responsibility for children with SEN in their class.
* The SENCO (Special Education Needs Co-ordinator) is the person responsible for ensuring support meets the needs of the children.
* The SENCO can provide support and advice to teachers and parents.

5. How do I contact the person responsible for SEN or arrange to meet them?

* Mrs L Coldwell our SENCO can be contacted by telephone 01795 423818
* Or via email .
* Or leave a message or sign up for an appointment at the school office.

6. What training or specialist expertise does your staff have around SEN?

* At Canterbury Road staff are trained to provide a variety of specialist support such as speech and language.
* However, where a training need is identified and the expertise not present.
* Canterbury Road  is committed to ensuring that training gap is promptly addressed.

7. What support can Canterbury Road’s  provide for children with SEN?

* Canterbury Road will provide a variety of support for children with SEN.
* This may include 1 to 1 intervention and/or small group work.
* When necessary the school will also access external agencies to enhance provision.

8. What further external support can Canterbury Road’s access and when would this happen?

* Canterbury Road has access to several external agencies that can provide additional support.
* Where a need has been identified by the school or parents, the SENCO will seek advice and support from the appropriate agency in order to meet the needs of the child.

* There is a link at the end of this document to Kent’s Local Offer, Kent Special Education Needs (SEN) Information Report.  

9. Who can I contact to provide additional advice and support for my family?

* Additional advice may be obtained from the school’s Family Liaison Officer (FLO) Sue Babin in person Monday- Thursday or by telephone 01795 423818.
* Or via email
* Or leave a message or sign up for an appointment at the school office.

10. How are parents/carers and children with SEN supported to share their views and concerns and work alongside Canterbury Road?

* Canterbury Road has a variety of ways to allow parents/carers to share their views and concerns.
* Teachers endeavour to be available at the end of the school day if parents/carers wish to discuss their child.
* Or parents can make an appointment on a signup sheet at the office to meet with either Class Teacher or the SENCO.
* Or a Home-School link book can be provided.
* Canterbury Road offers parent consultations three times a year.

11. If I am not happy with the provision at Canterbury Road, how can I share my concerns or make a complaint?

* If you are not happy with the SEN provision at Canterbury Road, please contact the class teacher, the SENCO or the Headteacher to share your concerns.
* If you wish to make a complaint about Canterbury Road please direct your grievance to the school’s chair of governors, Mrs Mitchell.  The complaint form is available from the school office. 

12. Where can I find information about the Local Authority’s Local Offer for children with SEN and their family?

Information about the Kent’s Local Offer can be found on the Kent County Council website. A link is provided below: